Any injury or eye disease that damages your cornea may need a corneal transplant surgery to repair the damage and restore your vision. The success rate of this transplant is very high, and most of the cornea specialist in Mumbai performs a corneal transplant on an outpatient basis.,
The cornea refers to a clear, dome-shaped surface at the front of your eyes. It acts as a protective barrier to eliminate the entrance of outside dust particles, germs, and bacteria. The cornea also allows the light to enter your eyes.
Any minor injuries or scratches can easily get repaired by the cornea without affecting your vision. However, accidental trauma or grave injuries may permanently damage the cornea, and you should immediately consult an eye specialist for cornea treatment.
1.The Cornea Transplant
The cornea tissues can easily get available from a recently deceased person or artificial cornea tissues. The donor tissue can be purchased by a trusted eye bank, where the tissues first undergo testing before handing over to another patient for a cornea transplant.
Expert eye specialists in Santa Cruz have witnessed that an artificial cornea tissue has a higher success rate than donor tissue. You can discuss your preferences with our eye specialist before signing up for a cornea treatment in Mumbai, at Clear Vision Clinic.
2. Who needs a Corneal Transplant?
A corneal transplant is recommended for various reasons. Patients suffering from the following conditions may get benefitted by the corneal transplant:
- Fuchs’ dystrophy – It is a condition which degenerates the innermost layer of your cornea
- Keratoconus – It is a condition in which the clear tissue at the front of the eye bulges outward
- Lattice dystrophy – It is an eye disorder which results in frequent corneal erosions
- Thinning of the cornea
- Scarring, clouding, or swelling around the cornea
- A corneal ulcer which mostly occurs due to a scratched cornea
3. How to prepare for a corneal transplant?
At Clear Vision Clinic, our eye specialist first examines the patient’s eyes, take exact measurements of their eyes, and detect any underlying health conditions.
In case you are suffering from a disease or undergoing medication, inform your doctor so that the medicines do not interfere with your body functioning. A day before the surgery, follow these tips:
- Do not eat or drink after midnight.
- Wear loose, comfortable, and breathable clothes before heading to the clinic
- Do not apply any eye make-up, cream, or moisturizer on your face.
- Ask a friend or family member to drive you back home post-surgery
4. Treatment Overview
When you first visit the clinic, your doctor will inject some sedative to make you comfortable throughout the surgery. The anaesthetic effect will numb any pain you may experience at the time of surgery. Using a microscope, the surgeon will remove a small, round piece of the cornea via a cutting instrument called a trephine.
The surgeon then places the artificial cornea; sew it using an ultra-thin thread that remains in place until your eyes are healed completely. Later, the doctor removes the thread, which is an entirely painless procedure.
There are a few risks associated with a corneal transplant, such as:
- Blood clotting
- Eye infection
Make sure you choose the best cornea specialist in Mumbai to rule out any complications or mishandling of the case. To learn more about eye treatments, surgeries, and alternative options, you can visit our Clear Vision eye clinic in Santa Cruz.